After the war in Croatia, the European Union and many other organizations, international companies and donors gave funds to assist in the reconstruction process of the country. However, as the war spread to neighboring countries, and as priorities switched to more socio-politically vulnerable regions, funds and donators have been gradually leaving the Vukovar area. As a result youth and volunteer organizations in the community must now provide their own financial resources, competing for funds from international donators as well as local and national funding.
Since 1999 we have been hosting guests from other parts of the world as well as supporting local schools and institutions through our non-formal education projects. Around 800 people have visited our house and participated in educational and practical programs and work camps of which YPGD specialize. We now aim to develop our organization and so increase our assistance to the local community.
YPGD offers a place for external groups to realize projects, programs and ideas. Programs at YPGD include the use of:
- 12 sleeping places
- 1 Kitchen
- Toilets and bathrooms
- 1 Summer kitchen (25 places)
- 2 gardens (around 200m˛)
- grill and camping site (6 tent places)
- Electricity/water/garbage service/internet
- Wireless internet connection and 2 computers, scanner, color and black/white printer/copy machine, telephone line, projector and laptop
- 1 Office and office management
- Preparation of cultural and social evenings
- Trained workshop leaders for issues such as team work, facilitation, communication, human rights, activism and volunteerism, art workshops and events.